Special Education Law and Disability Law
Advocating throughout the State of Maryland
Many families face tremendous challenges navigating the complex laws and procedures governing educational rights for children and adults with special needs. The attorneys at The Steedman Law Group are dedicated to providing experienced, compassionate legal representation and advocacy to assist in securing equal access to appropriate educational services and supports for all differently-abled individuals.
We serve individuals with a wide range of special needs, including:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Developmental Delays and Disabilities
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Learning Disorders
- Communication Disorders/Speech-Language Impairments
- Intellectual/Cognitive Impairments
- Social/Emotional Disabilities
- Behavioral Challenges
- Physical Disabilities (Orthopedic/ Visual/ Hearing)
- Medical/Health Impairments
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Executive Functioning and Processing Speed Disorders
We serve clients in all 23 Maryland counties and Baltimore City, and have provided advocacy and pro hac vice representation for individuals in numerous jurisdictions outside the state of Maryland, including Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Florida.
All students have a right to an appropriate education, and every learner deserves an opportunity to achieve meaningful progress and success. At The Steedman Law Group, our mission is helping children and adults open doors to those opportunities.
MDSEL (Maryland Special Education Lawyers)
MDSEL is a collaborative group of Maryland attorneys who currently represent students with disabilities in special education matters and promote legislative advances in protecting individuals with special needs. If you would like information regarding joining MDSEL, please email Wayne Steedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FBAs (Fundamental Behavior Assessments) & BIPs (Behavioral Intervention Plans): An Essential Legal Guide
Tuesday June 20th, 9:00AM – 4:30PM –> Event will provide a comprehensive overview of FBA & BIP processes and procedures. Sessions include:
- Conducting FBAs: Key Lessons from Court Cases (Presented by Cheryl Steedman & Leslie Turner Percival)
- Developing BIPs That Maximize Legal Protections and Improve Target Behaviors (Presented by Leslie Turner Percival)
- Special Education Due Process Hearing Steps and Best Practices (Presented by Wayne Steedman)
Adequate But Unequal? SCOTUS Considers Special Ed Case
Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District: Analysis of Oral Arguments
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017, Wayne, Cheryl, and Leslie traveled to the Supreme Court to hear oral arguments in the case of Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District. The Court’s decision in Endrew F. will affect every child with an IEP and every school district in the nation, making it the most important special education case before the Court in 35 years.
WrightsLaw ALERT! Endrew F. v. Douglas: U.S. Supreme Court Oral Argument Analysis
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017, the U. S. Supreme Court heard oral argument in Endrew F. v. Douglas Co. Sch. Dist., a case about educational benefit and FAPE. Pete and Pam attended and share their thoughts here.